Wednesday, June 27, 2012

England! Part 1

In March I had the amazing opportunity to travel to England for three weeks.  It is still hard to believe I "lived" in England for three weeks and that I traveled totally by myself ... a little freaky, but I lived to tell about the experience!  The graduate program I was in (I graduated June 10, yay!) started a pilot program this year for an international internship experience.  We learned about the opportunity in late August and only myself and another student showed an interest.  So, the other student went over during Thanksgiving and I got to go during March.  I stayed in Cambridge and interned at Anglia Ruskin University.  Cambridge was such an amazing city and I would have never guessed how big it was.  To be there totally surrounded by all the history, architecture and amazing food was definitely a once in a lifetime experience and one that I will remember forever!

The first weekend in Cambridge I was so fortunate that one of the women, Michele with whom I had been working at the university took me on a tour of the city center.  I know I would have never seen some of the things she showed me if I hadn't been with her.  For example, we first stopped at the Round Church, literally a round church, dating from 1130 AD!! Can you believe that?! At Michele's urging, I touched the rounch church so that I can now say "I touched a building 882 years old!"

The Round Church


During the rest of the day we ate a delicious lunch at an authentic Italian restaurant, saw several of Cambridge University's colleges, walked through the Fitzwilliam museum, and had afternoon tea at the Agora at the Copper Kettle Tea Room (where I must admit, I had coffee!). It was an amazing day filled with lots of wonderful memories.

 Around Cambridge


Inside Corpus Christi College of Cambridge University


 Inside Queens College of Cambridge University


Outside the Fitzwilliam Museum

March is usually a dreary and rainy month in England, but all except the first week I was there the weather was amazing! No rain, warm temperatures and the sun was always out.

The English love their gardens and their animals.  One thing I really miss is walking through Midsummer Common and seeing the people out with their dogs (off leash!) just playing and talking with one another ... they taught me it's okay to take a break and just relax ... as their saying goes "Keep Calm and Carry On."  I loved all of their green spaces!


Hugs,

Megan

P. S. Tomorrow I will be posting about my weekend in London, have a great day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover