Monday, May 2, 2011

International Quilt Festival, Part III

May 2nd, 2011

After walking through a number of quilt exhibits and visiting many booths at the International Quilt Festival, I spotted a line of chairs across from some very unique quilts and decided to sit for awhile as Megan headed off for more shopping and exploring. I started perusing everything within my vantage point and to my amazement and delight, I saw I was sitting across from Country Threads (see the pic below)! Country Threads is a terrific quilt shop in Iowa. It was featured in one of the first Better Homes and Gardens Quilt Sampler magazines. This shop literally sits out in the middle of Iowa farmland. Megan and I have been fortunate enough to visit County Threads twice. If you can’t get to Iowa, their website is jammed full of projects you will want to make, tips, and news!

As I was looking around, a lady sat down next to me and told me that her mother had worked for a shop in downtown Cincinnati embroidering vestments for clergy. She had the baptismal gown her mother had heavily embroidered for her and her eight brothers and sisters. She continued to tell me that she had purchased 18 yards of fabric because she wanted to be Scarlet O’Hara from Gone with the Wind when the tall stacks, aka steamboats, visited Cincinnati this fall. The skirt alone was going to have 16 yards of fabric in it! So, if you happen to be in Cincinnati this fall to see the tall stacks and spot a “young” lady one year shy of 70 wearing a beautiful white day dress with little blue flowers, that will be this charming lady I had to pleasure of meeting … aka Scarlet O’Hara!

Take care ~ Penny & Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover