Thursday, April 25, 2013

Longarm Quilting Tip: Buy a Sketchbook

A few days before my longarm was delivered I was surfing around Pinterest and stumbled upon this pin ... Amazing, right?!?  I immediately pinned it to my LAQ board and then started to sleuth a bit and found the true owner of the pin was a woman named LuAnn Kessi.  She has an equally amazing blog (which you can find here).  She is very gracious with sharing her work and I love the fact that she gives herself little notes to remind her how she made the design that she did.  The next day I went to Michaels and bought an artist's notebook (they were on sale 40% off!).

The idea of carrying around a notebook is still odd for me, but I'm getting better. Having a sketchbook to not only practice designs you want to try is important ...

Megan Ziegler Longarm Sketchbook

Megan Ziegler Longarm Sketchbook

Megan Ziegler Longarm Sketchbook

... But it's also important to give dry runs to potential designs.  I was working on a wallhanging yesterday and after some input from my mom, I decided not to use the design I had planned on for the past two weeks ... eeks!  Well, with a deadline to get the piece done, I needed to come up with something, so I roughly sketched some ideas to get to the idea that I finally decided upon.  Be sure to come back tomorrow for the "Shake Your Pom Poms" blog hop to see the final reveal!

Megan Ziegler Longarm Sketchbook

While I am by no means as talented as LuAnn I hope seeing a peek into my sketchbook will encourage you that you don't have to be perfect. For some reason, putting pen to paper just helps get your brain wired to do the actual design when you go to the longarm.  You can just work through the kinks before you actually stand at your machine to do the work!

See you bright & early tomorrow morning for the "Shake Your Pom Poms" blog hop!  You can check out today's bloggers here, and yesterday's here!

Enjoy!

Megan

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I don’t carry a notebook, but I can draw in scraps of paper. I do have a design book of sorts at home. I started it so I could rough sketch my customers quilts and plan for the design. I have tons of books and Pinterest printed designs. I work them out and get a general idea. This all helps me stay focused. But I do often tat add let change my mind at the last minute too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover